Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fatal Glance

This poem, written during Wheatstone, was inspired by the painting of Orpheus leading Eurydice from the Underworld...if you google it you can probably find an image of it somewhere.  Though it was originally written merely to attempt to tell a bit of what I thought Orpheus might be feeling just after the moment the painting depicts, I think it encapsulates a lot of what I've been thinking about throughout the entire summer.  So enjoy!


Fatal Glance

And now, the moment is passed,

the moment which sent my beloved

to hell and ripped my heart away;

I, sentenced to a hell on earth for hell

is wherever she is not.  Forever

my doom falls upon me, and all 

for a look.  A single glance

upon that face of beauty

and light, born out of desire 

to know and not just feel

that she is once more mine.

And for this I am condemned 

to constant tears and tortures.

A single look, a glance at beauty,

and it forever flees from my

grasp.  Must we live forever 

apart, simply because I loved?  

Because I wished to see, to behold

my beloved, she suffers in sorrow.

Nothing can saver her now, not

pleas nor promises nor even love.

Love, which led me here to her,

and which tore her away

from me.  The price of a single

look, that fatal glance upon

the beauty of the beloved,

for no one may see 

the face of their god and yet live,

and she was my god.

No comments: