Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Found Poetry

While hunting for a journal to take with me on my trip to the Dominican, I found two very happy surprises in the journal I ended up taking...poetry!!!  I don't remember how long ago I wrote it, but I do know that it was last summer (summer 2007) or later.  So have fun with this :)

This first one...I think I wrote it summer 2007 while in Big Bear scrapbooking with some girlfriends.  We stayed in my grandma's cabin in the middle of the woods...hence the natureish imagery.

Aviarium

Meandering among the lofty pines

Soars the one I long to follow

Soars the free, high flying swallow

But every day my soul remains

I must stay put, or lose my way

Among the woods, or flying high

Come too near to the sun and die

But on the ground I can not stay

Though I have lost my vision clear

And wander through the woods so brown

My spirit still pulls up not down

Though I know not that pull so dear

My true love still calls out to me

But I with wandering ears heed not

And lose my way midst piney knots

And brambles placed to ensnare me

My heart hears not the strains of Love

For it has left Love for another

But when the storms come, still seeks cover

From an umbrella from above

My soul, though tis unfaithful still

Dost sometimes strive to find true love

And finding, rests in nest of dove

While ceasing restless pulse of will



This second one, I remember vaguely it having some sort of back story...perhaps a dream, or an image that flashed into my head?  I don't know...the interesting thing though is to see how many similar strains I still see in poetry I wrote this summer.  I wonder if that means I haven't matured much in my writing since then?  Hmm, scary thought.

Mountain

The gulls cry, beckoning

Me upwards and onwards tonight

I dance in the waves on the seashore

Climbing up through the clear moonlight

Though twilight and starlight I run

Ever searching for that sound

For that voice which calls to me

The song in my head doth resound

A song of hope and of despair

A melody of joy but bought so dear

The price of joy, who can say

The search for that answer brings me here

And so I climb most carefully

Up the mountain to seek myself

And as myself the only question

More vital to me than wealth or health

But though I ask persistently

No answer doth to me come forth

and so I’m left alone again

In lack of love, to question worth

Who am I?  And do I matter?

Does my existence count at all?

I ponder these things, my heart is heavy

And stepping off the cliff, I fall


2 comments:

Ariel said...

Eventhough you may not like them, I think they're beautiful. :) Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Aww how very sweet. Someone reads my poetry, hurrah!!!