Saturday, November 15, 2008

We're over here by Qwerty to talk about what we've learned today....

...and so what we have learned, applies to our lives to say, and God has a lot to say in His book!  We know that God's word is for everyone, and now that our song is done let's take a look.
:)  Fun stuff, right?  But I think Veggie Tales did get something right...it's important to step back and look at what we've learned after we've experienced something.  Especially in the case of something so busy as my missions trip, it's easy to get caught up in doing doing doing, which was what we were there to do, after all.  But now that I'm home and it's all over, now is a good time to look at a few of the things I've learned.
1) One of the biggest things I learned is to just let go and let God be in control of everything.  Partly because of oldest child syndrome, partly just because it's my nature, I feel a big need to be personally responsible for a lot of people, to be personally responsible that everything runs smoothly.  For the most part, I knew on a big trip like this I couldn't have everything under control...but I made it an especial point to watch out for a few close friends.  Well, Tuesday night as many of you may know, 7 girls came down with stomach flu related illnesses and had to go to the hospital, one of my best friends Amy among them.  I had done my best to look out for her during the trip...but when she got sick, I just couldn't handle it.  Someone I loved was in pain and there was nothing I could do.  Looking back on it though, I think that God was saying "Let go of the reins Elizabeth.  Everything is in my hands, you don't have to be responsible for it all."  It was a hard lesson to learn...but a very crucial one as well.
2) Prayer. Is. Powerful.  This was a time when we needed prayer desperately...and it came.  There were so many instances where we prayed and I could see God working...so I'll just share two.  First, one of the girls in our group who went to the hospital, Alli, was really sick still the next morning when we needed to come home, and the doctor said she wouldn't come out of the hospital to come home with us.  One of the men in the church who runs the orphanage and school came and prayed for her...said "She's coming home today" and just poured out his heart to God...and she came home with us and is perfectly fine now.  Amazing.  The other thing...Tuesday night when everyone was getting really sick was really stressful for all of us...I was really exhausted and upset, breaking down sobbing, and for those of you who know me...I never cry.  Ever.  So it was a big deal.  I got home, and one of my friends told me, "You know, I just felt the need to pray for you on Tuesday night, I don't know why but I did."  Amazing once again, how he felt the need to pray just when I, and the group needed it most.
So much more that i could tell you about, but don't have time or room.  It was an absolute amazing trip, God did miraculous things.  If you want pretty pictures... Dominican Pictures are here :)  Check them out, leave happy comments :)  
Under the mercy,
Elizabeth

No comments: