Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First Class!

Hooray for Foundations!  I must confess I was a bit nervous starting class this afternoon, as we have a handful of new students in our class as well as a new tutor.  However, everything exceeded my expectations and we had a wonderful discussion!  Four things that I'm looking forward to this year...
1) Fellow classmates-it took quite a long time for our class to warm up to each other and actually discuss last year.  Today we actually had a pretty decent discussion compared to first semester discussions last year, and I foresee much improvement with this.
2) Mr. Bartel-I have heard Mr. Bartel highly praised over the summer, and he has definitely lived up to all the praise I heard.  He was funny, intelligent, and helped us to get at the answers without handing them to us.  Everyone greatly enjoyed him I believe and I am greatly looking forward to this year with him.
3) Poetry-As I have heard much of Mr. Bartel's love for poetry, I'm pretty excited to read the American poetry later in the second semester.  I'm also hoping to hear some of his thoughts on poetry in general as well as maybe if I can work up the courage to ask his advice on my own poetry...poetry is a beautiful thing is it not?
4) Starbucks-Hooray for having a Starbucks within walking distance of our site!  After class hopefully we can make it there some Tuesdays.  Sadly though I just found out that they no longer carry the base for making decaf frappaccinos...so sad.  
I hope that all my fellow Torreyans had wonderful first classes as well!
Under the mercy,
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

Friends! Mr. Bartel! Starbucks! Poetry! Locke! FOUNDATIONS! How can you stand the awesomeness? =]

Pauline said...

Hurrah! I'm so glad your first day went well. :D Mr. Bartel is amazing, no? And Starbucks, friends, and foundations!
:D
This is exciting.
We should all have a tea party someday to exchange stories, rambles, and food!

Elizabeth said...

A Torrey tea party? That sounds like a wonderful thing :) I am very excited for this year too.