Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Swing

Eager anticipation as the big night approaches,
Primping and prinking as for a big ball
The first night out, hair in places, clothes exactly so
This skirt or that, which shoes are perfect, which skirt
will swing and sway with the music?

Arriving, empty room, ballroom floor
with hidden promise, what secrets 
will be whispered in your hidden corners?
What dynamic duos will dance their hearts out
to the music of a past generation, putting their
every feeling into their feet, letting the music
move them, sway them, swing them to the
contagious rhythms played on the now-empty floor?

And then, you arrive, the moment I've been waiting for
all my life, or for twenty minutes.  Our eyes meet,
the unspoken question answered before it is
asked, and you take my hand, you take command
as we swing and sway, twisting and turning
the rhythm inside of us being spoken to the 
audible music, a physical dialogue of bodies
and sound being played out on this
dance floor of our dreams.  

Too soon it ends, the magic, the night, the dance,
The song is over, the dialogue has been
halted, yet the music plays on in my head
as I walk out, swinging and swaying to
this rhythm, swing song, singing songs
of love and life and the music that is
filling my feet, filling my heart, filling
my life.  Next time, the dialogue will be longer.

1 comment:

Ariel said...

Three cheers for the wonderfulness of swing dancing. Beautiful poetry, Elizabeth. You captured the feeling of the evening.