Monday, August 4, 2008

Media Multi-Tasking

Usually, multi-tasking is a good thing, especially for moms.  If we could only focus on one thing at a time, there'd be many things that would never get done because of time restraints.  Multi-tasking I believe is a valuable skill we've developed in order to allow overworked moms to make dinner, fold the laundry, talk on the phone, school a 4th grader, and monitor a preschooler without going crazy.  And usually, doing more than one thing at once is highly efficient as well as necessary.
But sometimes, it can get a bit much.  Stop and think about it for a moment.  When was the last time you concentrated on one thing and one thing only?  When did you last sit down to read a book without listening to your iPod, talking on the phone, doing homework, etc.?  For me, it's been a long time.  I think our culture has gotten so used to multi-tasking that we've almost forgotten how not to do it.  We feel like we're being unproductive if our attention isn't given to 3 or 4 different things at a time.  Silence becomes unbearable because we're used to being plugged into our iPods 24/7.  And especially with media does this become a problem.
At any given time of day, you can find me on my laptop listening to my iPod, having at least 2 online conversations, sending an email, posting in the Chatter forum on Bubbs, and updating my blog.  It's a busy life I lead, and sometimes, multi-tasking is good.  But I wonder if it isn't often harmful as well.  Dr. Reynolds has some good insights into this topic http://www.scriptoriumdaily.com/2008/07/22/are-distracting-ourselves-to-death-five-practical-tips-our-family-is-trying/  
His suggestions are convicting, to say the least.  Although they sound simple, in reality, we've become so dependent on our email, music, etc. that we barely know how to function without it.  Starting two weeks ago, I decided to make Sunday a no-computer day.  It is definitely a struggle for me.  I hadn't realized how attached I was to the computer until I tried to give it up.  I found myself thinking several times throughout the day about my emails, and worrying that perhaps someone was trying to get a hold of me, or was insulted because I didn't reply to an email right away.  These past two weeks have really opened my eyes to the dangers of multi-tasking with my media though.  When my focus on a Sunday is not worshipping with fellow believers, studying God's word, and spending time with Him in prayer, but rather, "How soon can I get back on the computer?" then I am in serious trouble.  By the grace of God I pray that setting aside one day a week to rest my mind and focus solely on one thing and one thing alone will make it easier for me to do that every day.  
Now I would like to challenge you to do the same.  Don't feel the need to throw your laptop out the window, or give your iPod away.  But try it, sometime.  Set your mind to one thing only.  Go read a good book without any music on.  Listen to good music without checking your email.  Take a break from the computer and go outside.  Look up, listen, pay attention!  God is trying to get your attention, but how can He speak when you're plugged into your iPod and running 3 different online conversations with other people?

1 comment:

GAClive said...

wow. I'm definitely gonna try to cut out my computer on sundays now...and maybe some other stuff.