Monday, August 11, 2008

What's in a name?

Following the example of my most excellent friend Gabriel (www.choochootrain64.blogspot.com), as well as my own inherent tendency to name my most prized possessions, I have decided that my piano needs a name.  After having had it for at least five years, it is high time that it ascends to its rightful rank of beloved thing of mine.  Right now I have two names in the running, and you can vote for them in the poll to your right.  Your vote may or may not influence my decision, but I would like to see what everyone thinks.  And if you have another suggestion for the naming of the piano, please comment to let me know.
In addition to my strange penchant for naming inanimate objects (such as my pink 2ND generation nano whose name is Darcy) I like to have meaning behind the names I choose (once again the example of the iPod, a rather obvious meaning there I believe).  The two names I have chosen for the piano both have a story behind them actually.
1)Cecilia-a rather straightforward meaning...St. Cecilia was the patron saint of music and musicians, and I preferred this name to using the rather difficult to pronounce Greek name of the muse of music.
2)Molly-a rather longer story...For those of you who are familiar with the Millie Keith books, this name comes from one of those books.  In the book, the pastor of a frontier church is attempting to raise funds for a new church piano.  One of the wealthy families in town donates a cow which the preacher names Piano, since it was donated to the piano fund.  One of the older and rather eccentric townspeople suggests that as they have a cow named piano, the new church piano ought to be named Molly.  I found that highly amusing, and think it would be quite fun to have a piano named Molly even if I don't have a cow.

So, share with me your opinion and I will let you know shortly which name I have decided upon for the piano.
Under the mercy,
Elizabeth

No comments: