Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mae concert

Last night was my first ever live concert...plus my first concert at Chain Reaction...plus my first Mae concert!!!  All of these firsts combined for a fantastically mindblowingly memorable evening.  First off for those of you who may not have known, I am a die hard Mae fan as of last September...I'm in the midst of writing a play based off The Everglow, if that tells you anything ;)  So this concert was a treat.  Mae is even more fantastic in person than they are on recordings, their energy level is just fantastic and you can see their love of music as they perform.  Unfortunatly my camera battery died before I could get many pictures, so you'll only get a couple here :(  
First off, a local band called Set to Sea played...I wasn't a huge fan, personally, but they were ok.
Next, Person L.  The music was a bit hard for my taste, but their vocalist/lead guitarist had some awesome energy (plus he reminded me ever so slightly of Mr. Tumnus ;)  
Barcelona...they were really really good.  After Set to Sea and Person L, I wasn't expecting much, but Barcelona was surprisingly fantastic :)
Mae...ahh, where shall I start.  They had an amazing setlist :)  They started off with the new version of Embers and Envelopes, then their January song The House that Fire Built (my favorite off the new EP), then Suspension and Breakdown (both excellent visuals as well), Someone Else's Arms...this has always been one of my favorites, but hearing it live...wow it was fantastic.  After Someone Else's Arms came Painless, then the new version of Crazy 8s-a Singularity song so I didn't know it well.  My favorite of the entire concert though, was The Ocean.  It's a gorgeous song...plus...their new EP smells like the Ocean!!!!!  Utterly amazing!!!!   Next came Just Let Go (another singularity), summertime, Boomerang (another one off their new EP), and Anything.  Afterwards, Dave came back out and did an acoustic of Sun...that was fantastic to hear the entire audience sing along to the chorus, oh so wonderful...then the rest of the band came back and did Night/Day (the April song off their new EP) .  Fantastic setlist, indeed.  The only things I would have added were the Sun and the Moon and Soundtrack to Our Movie...but fantastic show :)  
I got a Mae t-shirt as a birthday gift from a friend...their new morning t-shirt (check it out on the website)...and I bought their (M)orning EP...it is wonderful!  I am already in love with it :)  
Go to the concert if you can, buy the EP even if you dont' make it to their concert.  
Mae, you are utterly fantastic!
P. S. Pictures are coming in the next post ;)

No comments: